ICYMI: News From Progress Alberta
Calgary Council: Say NO to austerity and NO to the arena
On July 29 Calgary city council will decide whether or not to throw nearly $300 million of public funding towards building a new arena for the Calgary Flames.
At the same time, Calgary city council is pushing through a massive $60 million austerity package that will cut budgets for affordable housing, public transit, even the fire department.
Time is short. Your city councillor needs to hear your position on this deal today.
We're nearly out of time before the 2019 election. It's time to stop carding now, before it's too late.
Let’s call the political advertisements that have been flooding television, radio, and print media all October what they really are: class warfare.
Being a politician is hard. Sometimes a bunch of people dressed up as bikers with matching hoodies, patches, rockers, t-shirts and hats all RSVP and show up to your political party's pub night, and you're like, Soldiers of Odin? Whoever could these folks be?
Universal and freely accessible--that is, truly public transit--could be reality in Edmonton if we speak up.
(This is an email from a front line worker in the service industry who wants to tell her personal story about why we need to stop the practice of house tipping. Minor edits have been made for clarity and to anonymize her)
If you’ve been looking at the Alberta Party as a home for centre-left voters, you need to know about their recent right-wing shift.
Progress Alberta is urging the government of Alberta to carefully consider the recently released Edmonton Police Commission report on street checks as it conducts its own consultation on street check policies across the province.
Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your personal saviour? Will you choose friends who will help you follow God’s Word? Do you agree to keep yourself pure by not entertaining yourself with music, TV or movies that are morally improper or present behaviour that violates God’s Word?
Such questions might not be the first thing you’d expect on an application for a tiny K-12 private school. But they’re only a small selection from the bizarre 11-page application for Calgary’s Eastside Christian Academy.
One of the most popular arguments made by private school proponents in response to campaigns like ours is that private schools are actually “saving the government money.”
Here’s the supposed logic: private schools receive 70 per cent of the per-student funding the public, separate and Francophone schools do. The remaining 30 per cent—and any extras—come directly from the parents. And private schools don’t receive funding for capital projects.
But there’s one part they never tell you.