Work with Progress Alberta
We are seeking a full-time communications and operations lead to join our team (based in Edmonton), with the opportunity to help shape a dynamic new organization from the ground up.
Starting as soon as possible. Application deadline: Noon, Monday, March 20.
Reporting to the executive director, the communications and operations lead is responsible for developing and executing a multi-platform communications strategy for our growing organization, leading our efforts to bring the vision and solutions from Progress Alberta to a broad Albertan audience.
Comms Strategy: You will develop and execute an overarching communications strategy spanning social media, events and traditional media. Working with the executive director, you will develop and maintain social media channels, branding, and content.
Writing & Content Development: You will produce communications materials such as press releases, op-eds, newsletters, social media and blog posts. As we expand you will be expected to oversee production of other content, like videos, graphics, podcasts, and more.
Media Relations: You will generate sustained media coverage for Progress Alberta events and campaigns, pitch Progress Alberta spokespeople as guests, research and prepare talking points for appearances, and act as a media liaison for the organization.
Operations: Support day-to-day operations and administrative tasks, as required. Oversee the implementation of a supporter management system and infrastructure for online donations (e.g. donation page, payment processor, etc.)
Here’s who you are:
- At least three years experience in a communications leadership role – especially in developing and executing communications strategies for organizations or complex projects
- Knowledgeable about Alberta politics and a range of social justice and climate and energy issues
- A natural communicator who can write persuasively to engage a general audience
- Digital and social media-savvy, with knowledge of the media landscape in Alberta
- Takes initiative and has ability to navigate high-intensity situations, but also enjoys working collaboratively within a team
- You have connections to a wide network of journalists and communications professionals
- Experience leading successful grassroots fundraising efforts
- Experience with NationBuilder and Drupal
- Bilingualism in French and English an asset, but not required. Communications within the team will be in English.
This could be three to five day a week job with a three-month probationary period. Salary commensurate with experience. We are open to flexible working schedules. Location flexible, but access to a computer, phone and internet are a must. Would prefer Edmonton but it is not a must.
Progress Alberta is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team. People from marginalized communities, including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, people with disabilities, people identifying as LGBTQ, and working class people are especially encouraged to apply. Please indicate in your statement of interest if you would like to be considered for employment equity.
To apply, please submit the following to email@example.com:
- A statement of interest (300 words maximum), in lieu of a cover letter: Tell us why you care about Progress Alberta’s mission, and why you want to be part of this team.
- Your resume
- Links/attachments to 2 samples of your work that you’re proud of -- for example, a press release, an article, a website, etc.
- Optional: sample video/documentary/news production clip or graphic design
Closing Date: The position will remain open until we find the right candidate. Initial application deadline is noon Monday March 20, 2017.
We thank you for your interest in working with Progress Alberta. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.