Welcome to the Albertan progressive movement Progress Alberta. Doesn't it seem like everyone time you turn on the TV or log onto Facebook, conservatives are pushing a radical ideology that doesn't represent your Alberta. Whether it's finding ways to demonize regular front line Alberta workers or joking about beating the premier or saying that feminism is a cancer or... the list just goes on and on. And instead of being held accountable, conservatives are given more and more airtime by the mainstream media.
But it doesn't have to be this way. Because we have a secret: There is more of us than there are of them. Alberta is the youngest, most urban, most educated and diverse province in Canada - and all of those traits correlate with people identifying as progressive. We are the majority, not them.
That's where we - Progress Alberta - come in. By going to the box on this page and signing up to Progress Alberta, you will have joined a new movement of individuals from all Alberta, uniting together to build a more progressive Alberta.
Here's what we stand for:
- Provincial and municipal governments that answers to its citizens - not corporate interests
- Building prosperous communities
- Maintaining a healthy environment and a stable climate
- Fair treatment of workers
- An Alberta that embraces diversity instead of fearing it
Here's some of what we've done:
- FOIPed the fact that a Catholic school board in St. Albert had spent more $360,000 taxpayer dollars in order to argue their case that they were perfectly justified for firing a teacher for being transgender
- Got Brad Wall to stop taking his $37,000 a year Saskatchewan Party top up after we revealed Albertan companies were pumping millions of dollars into Saskatchewan politics
- Got Postmedia to disclose the fact that columnist Lorne Gunter had accepted a free cruise worth thousands of dollars from Ezra Levant, an embarrassing revelation for the newspaper chain
- Repeatedly called out and driven news coverage on climate denial by Wildrose Party politicians
- First to report the fact that Alberta's grid was setting records highs for renewable energy and record lows for coal fired energy
- Filed an ethics complaint against a former Tory cabinet minister turned coal lobbyist which stopped a pro-coal campaign dead in its tracks
If you, like us, are fed up with bad conservative ideas and their power over our lives and to be a part of a movement to build a more progressive Alberta, then you've found the right home. And if you've got a second please like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
Approximately once a week, sometimes less, but let's be honest, conservatives in Alberta aren't getting any less awful - we'll send you an email with something you can do to build a more progressive Alberta. We also send a weekly newsletter, the Progress Report, with a wrap up of the week's news that we think you should know about. Together we'll build campaigns and win real victories to improve the lives of everyday Albertans.
Executive director: Duncan Kinney
Duncan Kinney has lived and worked in Edmonton for the past seven years, was raised and went to school in Calgary, was in utero in Drayton Valley during the Lodgepole Blowout and his family's Earthship is in Lethbridge County in southern Alberta.
Before Progress Alberta Duncan worked for the past 3.5 years on Green Energy Futures, a Pembina Institute communications project funded by Suncor, Shell and TD that profiled successful renewable energy and energy efficiency projects from across Canada.
You can check out the rest of Duncan's professional and educational background here.